All text and product images are the intellectual property and copyright of Pipestock Limited
Key Features / Tech Specs:
- Material: acrylonitrile butadiene styrene
- Suitable to be used with potable water
- Plain and threaded fittings and adaptors available
- High shock resistance
- Wide range of chemical resistance
- Working temperature between - 40°C to +70°C
- 15 bar rated up to 5", 12 bar rated at 6", 10 bar at 8"
- Sizes available from ½" to 12"
- WRAS approved
- WRc tested
- Up to 73% discount from our list prices available today
Basic Fitting Guidelines:
ABS solvent cement welding offers a simple and quick means of constructing high integrity leak-free joints. Correctly made joints are stronger than both the pipe and fitting.
The solvent cement operates by chemically softening the outside of the pipe and inside of the fitting. ABS pressure pipes and fittings are designed for an interference fit.
Although ABS solvent cement has good gap filling properties, no attempt should be made to increase the clearance between pipes and fittings by excessive abrading.
Joint integrity is greatly reduced if these surfaces are not absolutely clean and properly prepared. The procedure detailed below must be followed.
Please note, under no circumstances should sealing paste be used as this can be harmful to ABS products.
- Cut the pipe, you are wishing to join, square
- Mark the pipe to show the area which will be joined (depth of fitting)
- Thoroughly abrade the end of the pipe over the area which is to be joined and the area of the fitting which is to be joined
- Use our ABS cleaning fluid to clean the areas to be joined
- Using a clean brush, apply the ABS solvent cement
- Push pipe into fitting to required depth
- Hold the connection together for the required time
- Wipe off excessive cement from the joint
- Allow sufficient drying time prior to pressurisation of the system
Joints Per Litre of Cement
An indication of the number of joints likely to be made per litre of solvent cement is:
|½ - 1||16-32||400|
|1¼ - 2||40-63||175|
IMPORTANT: The technical data given in this website is for preliminary information purposes only and is published without guarantee. All line drawings are for illustrative purposes only and should not be regarded as wholly accurate in every detail. We reserve the right to withdraw or to alter the specification of any product without notice. For more information, please consult our Terms of Business.
Unlike other plastics, acrylonitrile butadiene styrene can be used to make fittings which are suitable for airline systems. This non-toxic grade material is also suitable for food and potable water transportation.
ABS plastic is known for its reliability and versatility when used in pipework systems due to its 50 year design life, high temperature range and high resistance to shock.
When fitting ABS pipework systems it is essential to use ABS solvent cement; this works by softening and bonding both the pipe exterior and the fitting interior. If used with clean and properly prepared pipe, a strong and reliable connection will be created.
If you require any further information then don’t hesitate to ring us here at Pipestock on 0845 634 1053. We’re always happy to help!