Protecta Line Pipe System Information:
In recent times we have seen an increase of contaminated land being used for developments where drinking water is needed. Brownfield land is ground that has been previously used for another purpose and former industrial land carries a particularly high risk of being contaminated. Conventional Polyethylene piping systems are not recommended in such land as any chemicals left can permeate the pipe wall causing unpleasant tastes and shortening the life of the pipe.
Protecta-line is an award winning, multi-layered, co-extruded polyethylene barrier pipe for conveying drinking water in contaminated ground. Due to its’ structure any chemicals left in the land cannot damage the pipe wall, ensuring preservation of long-term strength, many years of usage and various cost benefits. The double bonded construction incorporates an impermeable metallic barrier wrapped onto a standard steel core of PE80 or PE100 (Excel) pipe conforming to BS 6572 or WIS 4-32-17/BS EN 12201.
With WRAS and DWI approval there can be total peace of mind that Protecta-Line provides the highest standards of safety demanded by water companies. Protecta-Line also has the installation benefits of conventional PE pipe being lightweight, flexible material that is fast and easy to install. With increasing development of Brownfield sites and the clear need for developers to guarantee water quality, Protecta-Line is by far the most effective and comprehensive barrier pipeline system for distribution of drinking water.
Protecta-Line pipes may be subjected to cold bending as for standard polyethylene pipes.
- Drinking Water Inspectorate, Regulation 31 (All Pipes)
- WRAS (The complete System)
- BS 6572 (25mm-63mm Pipes)
- WIS 4-32-17 (25mm – 180mm Pipes)
- BS EN 12201 (25mm – 180mm Pipes)
- WIS 4-32-19 (25mm – 180mm System) –
System permeation test independently verified *
A Complete System:
- The Protecta-Line range consists of:
- Protecta-Line Pipe from 25mm to 63mm in SDR11 PE80 and 90mm to 180mm in SDR11 and SDR17 PE100 (Excel). Available in 6m and 12m sticks, 25m, 50m and 100m coils, depending on diameter.
- Protecta-Line Mechanical Compression Fittings from 25mm to 63mm including Coupling, Reducing Coupling, Transition fittings, Equal Tee, 90 degree Elbows and End Caps.
- Protecta-Line Stop Cocks at 25mm & 32mm
- Protecta-Line Self Tapping Ferrule Off-Take in main sizes (90-180mm) with 25mm or 32mm outlets.
- Protecta-Line fluid Compression Fittings from 63mm to 180mm including Couplers, Reducers, 90 degree Elbows, Flanged Branch Tees, Service Tees and Stub Flanges.
- In addition, sizes 90mm to 180mm of Protecta-Line can be joined using Electrofusion and Butt-fusion. Whilst the integrity of these joints has been proven by permeability testing to WIS 4-32-19, to ensure long term safety Pipestock recommends wrapping completed joints with Protecta-Line aluminium tape followed by a proprietary waterproof petrolatum tape (equivalent to Denso).
- Protecta-Line systems should be pressure tested after installation using the normal industry procedures employed for PE pipelines, but taking extra care appropriate for when working in a contaminated environment as set out by Local Water Undertaking.
Protecta-Line is designed, manufactured and supplied as a complete system. The use of non-approved products with the Protecta-Line system will invalidate the water industry WRAS approvals 0509063 & 0609132 and may compromise system performance and its ability to maintain water quality.